An annotated list of some useful Internet resources relating to intellectual property is provided below, grouped in different categories. Be sure to check back often, as this content is updated whenever quality resources are found.
When you click on one of the links below, the requested page will appear in a new browser window. When you click on any subsequent links below, each subsequent requested page will appear in that same new browser window.
General Intellectual Property Information
History and Philosophy of Intellectual Property
General Patent Information
- Guide to Patents
: a very well-written introductory guide to patents and the patent process,
provided by the Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO)
- What is a patent?: detailed discussion including why you should obtain a patent and a
description of the entire patent process, provided by the Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (IPIC)
Patent Agent Careers
Patent Examiner Careers
Trade-Mark Agent Careers
- What is a Trade-Mark Agent?: an excellent description of the profession of trade-mark agency, including how to become a trade-mark agent, provided by IPIC
Searchable Patent Databases (all available free of charge)
- Canadian Patent Database: Images and some text information from 1920 to the present time. (The text of the abstracts and claims is not available for patents that were granted prior to August 15, 1978.)
- United States Patent Databases
- Espacenet: Images dating back to 1920 for important countries; a large proportion of bibliographic data dates back to 1970.
General Trade-Mark Information
Searchable Trade-Mark Databases (available free of charge)
Other Searchable Databases
- Intellectual Property Digital Library: (free of charge) provides access to various intellectual property data collections currently hosted by the World Intellectual Property Organization. These collections include Hague, Madrid, PCT and JOPAL (non-patent reference) data and support fully searchable information retrieval and display by users on demand.
- Derwent: (pay for service, some free info) value-added patent and scientific information, part of Thomson Scientific
- Questel-Orbit: (pay for service, some free info) a service dedicated to Intellectual Property information: patents, scientific and technical (sci-tech) information, trademarks and Internet domain names.
General Copyright Information
- Guide to Copyrights
: a very well-written introductory guide to copyrights and copyright registration,
provided by the Canadian Intellectual Property Office
- About Copyright: detailed discussion provided by IPIC
General Industrial Design Information
General Integrated Circuit Topography Information
Intellectual Property Offices (more to be added)